Friday, March 6, 2015

The Pain Stops Here

There is something really wrong in us. What makes people kill others with no remorse? Abuse? Hate? Lies? Greed? Fear? Meaninglessness? Are we powerless to do anything about it? What about the wrongs done to us personally?

Emotional pain, brokenness and other negative emotions spread like a disease (as do joy and hope). I see it in the office, in families, among friends, at church, and at restaurants. You can't wash your hands and make this go away. When we are hurting, frustrated, or ashamed, it will come out, whether by mistreating others or mistreating ourselves. A friend once said to me that people either implode or explode.

We can find adequate coping skills, live "lives of quiet desperation," or numb our pain. I choose to take a redemptive view of all life, in the tradition and example of Jesus Christ. He was abused, marginalized, and eventually murdered. However, He took the wrong done to Him out of love, overcame it by His supernatural power, and stopped the cycle of evil with His own life. Is this not amazing? Who wouldn't want to tap into this healing life and power? He gives us the gift of transforming trials into life-giving opportunities. Read more about Him, if you dont know, or get acquainted with Him, if you haven't in awhile. Learn more how this story can be real to you in Ragamuffin Gospel (more book recos below).

We can't change or save other people who are wounded and sick in their being, but what can we do? I'm very interested in the concept that sin/evil/negativity/fear directed towards me, STOPS with me. The people who mistreat us, have much greater influence and control than they should not only over us, but indirectly on the others that we mistreat in turn (because we pass on pain). I am working to respect my vessel/self enough that I don't allow people to mistreat me (as much as I can). However, with the everyday onslaught of negativity, fear and rudeness, let's do our best to NOT transmit this onto other people and to ruthlessly seek healing of our own pain and wounds.... let's stop the cycle (no excuses for abuse or injustice!).

I recommend reading books that teach you about overcoming emotional challenges, seek the redemptive and healing love of God through Jesus, find healthy and creative outlets, talk to a therapist. This is a tall order. I'm still thinking through the implications of this and would love to know your thoughts.

Some books I recommend:

"The Allure of Gentleness" covers many common problems people have with reconciling faith in God and real life. It's written to Christians who want to better understand the faith, but is relatable for those who aren't Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment